Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My first package

Very early this morning I decided to start packing a box for a unit of 19 that needed some extra "angel hugs." Their PX is running low and although I wish I could send everything they needed, I did want to send every one of them a little something. I began by writing each of their names on index cards adorned with patriotic stickers and put them each into an individual ziploc bag. I filled them up with jolly ranchers, mints, butterscotch candies, powdered soft drink singles, beef jerky, oatmeal creme pies, fruit snacks and lollipops. It's not much but I hope the effort and thought will go over well. I also put in a few games and books that they all can share during their downtime. Overall I think I'll be spending about $40-50 on the package including sending and although that's a bit pricey, I figure it's worth it considering I'll be reaching out to 19 people.

On our forums, we have a section where we honor our fallen heroes and are able to send condolences via mail to the families. I was just browsing when I came upon a young man who lost his life last week. I read on about him and get to the part where the family's address is. I immediately got chills. The family lives literally seconds, along the same road, from my grandparents in Virginia. Maybe I am more closely connected to people around the world than I know. I'm sure my family has crossed his family on many occasions, maybe they even knew each other or spoke from time to time. We're all a big family in this country, and the world, we just aren't aware of it. Well, I now am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi :) your packages sounds really great, I am about to mae one likes this right now, too, so not only one person gets something :)
btw I will add you to my blogroll the next seconds :)

~happy angeling~
Betsy (in the forums Vivienne)